Sunday, September 21, 2008

Who? Some whos comment on renewal.

I was up again on Mt. Shasta this time for my own purposes. During the few days I was there, I met a group of mostly women who had come from the Province of Quebec, Canada. There were about half a dozen ladies of various ages led by a couple.They had flown from Montreal to San Francisco to drive and climb up the mountain for several days of meditations, yoga and discussion about personal and spiritual renewal. They were excited to be on the tallest mountain in North America, to simply be there, to sense the energies of a sacred mountain and to search deeply within themselves what that might mean. We had several moments of great fun recalling my Montreal history from the 1960's: how I loved the big city, how it was so different in language and customs from what I had come from in western Canada. Their focus was personal and yet there was a spirit of something new, yes, renewal that they had been contemplating while they were there. They were taking away with them a magnificent experience and food for much thought for the next months. I gave them my blog card in the hope they will let me know about their progress.

Just a couple days later when I was in Mt. Shasta, the town, I met again some old friends: Djin and Becky. His 60th birthday was only a few days away. He was telling me about finding a reel-to-reel tape of music from the 70's which had been stored in a friend's basement for lots of years. When they were able to play it and download it to disc, they sent it to a recording company. Their response was highly enthusiastic: would he consider signing a 5 year contract to perform and record again? Here he is, at the 7 decade of his life renewing his musical heritage and giving it to the present generation. Now that is truly about a renewal.

Is there something in us that reverses aging? That could be known as: Youthing? Maybe so.

What is it for you today, growing older or growing younger?

No comments: